Thursday, October 13, 2011

Saints QB Drew Brees Urges You to Fight Global Hunger

Right now, millions of people are at risk of starvation in the Horn of Africa. As the father of two, it's hard for me to imagine what it must be like for parents to watch helpless as their children suffer.
-New Orleans Saints Quarterback Drew Brees


As a fan of the New Orleans Saints, I am extremely glad to see our star quarterback involved in anti-hunger efforts. Brees is becoming involved in a global campaign through the UN World Food Programme, which on Oct. 12 designated him as an ambassador.  

So is this just a ceremonial position?  Hardly. Brees will be involved in a social media campaign intended to raise awareness about global hunger and move people into taking action.  Here is what the Saints quarterback said in his Facebook page.
If global hunger's your cause, I need you on my team. In my new role as a UN World Food Programme Ambassador, I'm calling on you to support me in a unique social media campaign with WFP that shows how we're all linked in the fight against hunger.

We're calling it "Six Degrees of Hunger": I'll be sharing a message with six of my friends encouraging them to help spread the word on hunger and they'll send the message to six of their friends and so on. This campaign will raise critical awareness about hunger online, but we can't do it without your help. Please re-post and start the chain in your own network!
So there you go.  Just as easy as throwing a touchdown pass against the Atlanta Falcons! 

No comments: