Saturday, January 05, 2019

Experiencing the Parliament of The World's Religions in Toronto

A handful of folks from New Mexico attended the Parliament of The World's Religions in Toronto on Nov. 1-7, 2018, including Carolyn Good, Charlotte Smith, Justin Remer-Thaemert, Donna Kangeter, Grandmother FlordeMayo. These are just the folks we know were at this gathering. There were probably others. Here is an account from Donna Kangeter.

By Donna Kangeter

My introduction to the Parliament of The World's Religions came from an unlikely source. I had been reading Sri Ramakrishna’s work and found his ideas, based on his own experience very affirming and comforting. Although he was an advanced practitioner of the Vedic tradition, he had had direct, unitive experiences in other spiritual traditions.

Based on his firsthand experience, Sri Ramakrishna taught his students that all religious paths lead to the One, God. That all paths are valid and worthy of respect. In 1893 Sri Ramakrishna sent his student, Vivekananda, to the first Parliament of World Religions in Chicago. Here are a couple of statements from Vivekananda’s speech to the Parliament on 09/11/1893.

“I am proud to belong to a religion which has taught both tolerance and universal acceptance. We believe not only in universal toleration, but we accept all religions as true.”

And…

“I fervently hope that the bell that tolled this morning in honor of this convention may be the death – knell of all fanaticism, of all persecutions with the sword or with the pen, and of all uncharitable feelings between persons wending their way to the same goal.”

I found Sri Ramakrishna’s work compelling. It confirmed what I had been learning over time. The Parliament of World Religions presented an opportunity to meet and learn from people from the world’s religions who held similar convictions: to respectfully acknowledge our diversity, and see that diversity as a strength in pursing universal goals.

The Path to Toronto
Here it is nearly ten years later. I learned in early spring 2018 that the Parliament of World Religions would meet in Toronto, in November. I found myself wondering how I would manage to attend, this the 125th Anniversary of the Parliament.


During an event held at the Baha’i Center here in Albuquerque, I happened to mention my interest in attending this year’s Parliament to my friend, Charlotte Smith. Charlotte had attended the last Parliament in Salt Lake City and suggested we go as volunteers. We applied and were accepted; it reduced our registration cost from $300-$400 to $60. $10 for background check, $50 for registration!

Charlotte and I arrived on Oct. 31, in Toronto, a day early to get settled into our airbnb. The following day, Thursday, November 1st the Parliament officially opened. This year’s theme was, “The Promise of Inclusion, The Power of Love: Pursuing Global Understanding, Reconciliation, and Change. It was held in the Metro Toronto Convention Center (MTCC), a huge facility, 600,000 sq. ft. spread over 2 buildings connected by an indoor bridge.

Grandmother Flordemayo's Facebook page
Encountering a Curandera from Estancia
On Thursday while Charlotte went off to meet the Baha’i community in a neighborhood home, I took the two subway lines (half-an-hour trip) to the MTCC. A tour of the facility was planned for the volunteers. Following lunch, with a fellow volunteer from Iran, Narges and I went to the Indigenous Peoples opening ceremony, outdoors, in the rain. (Interestingly, Grandmother Flordemayo, a Curandera from Estancia, N.M., was at the airport luggage claim the day before as I waited to grab my suitcase. She sat in a dry place under the tent during this opening ceremony).

While the sessions and individual panels would not begin until Friday, there were plenty of interesting exhibits and installations to take in along the halls and walkways of the MTCC.

One highlight was the Quilt of Belonging



Other compelling exhibits included The Climate Ribbon Tree: A Ritual Space for Hope and Healing; 117 Million “Missing” Woman; (this was an exhibit of 11,700 pairs of baby booties, each representing 10,000 “missing” (dead) women and girls displayed in a floor to ceiling maze filling 2,000 sq. ft.; Divine Women Protectors; large banners of feminine Deity: Kuan Yin, Kali, Durga, Sarasvati and others; and large placards on the wall between the North and South buildings delineating the tenets of the world’s Religions. These are only a few of the many exhibits and installations that were scattered throughout the MTCC.

A full venue of films played throughout the Parliament as well. On Wings of Fire: The Prophet Zarathushtra and a Brief History of Zoroastrianism was the only film I attended.

Plenary: Inclusion and Love
Charlotte and I arranged to meet later Thursday afternoon at the MTCC. That evening we attended the opening Plenary session: The Promise of Inclusion, the Power of Love. Although there were eight presenters scheduled to speak, interspersed with performances, we listened to three. Wande Abimbola, President/Founder of the IFA Heritage Institute, Nigeria; Rev. Jim Wallis, founder of the NGO and magazine, Sojourner; and Dr. Simran Jeet Singh, Religious scholar, activist and educator; Senior Religion Fellow for the Sikh Coalition. The performers included Ernie Toller with the Unity in Diversity Choir and Move The World Dance Group. As Charlotte and I had a half hour commute to our airbnb, we usually left the evening Plenaries early.

The next three days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday I “worked” as a room monitor. Basically I kept presenters and panelist on time, so the next session would begin as scheduled. I began at 12 noon, and finished my shift at 4PM. Here are a few of the sessions I monitored. Wicca As A Global Religion: Entering the Next Generation; Autistic Inclusion in Religious Environments; A Jain Approach to Inclusive and Sustainable Solutions to Intercultural and Inter Religious Conflict; The Hizmet Movement: Inclusion, Love, Global Understanding and Change. This last panel was of special interest to me, as I had never heard of the Hizmet movement. “Hizmet” means service in Turkish. All the members on this panel had come to Canada seeking asylum from a tyrannical government leader, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. When I returned to Albuquerque, I confirmed my hunch; the Raindrop Foundation is associated with the Hizmet movement. 

After I finished my shift at 4PM and all day Monday and Tuesday, I was free to choose from the 30 to 40 panels and sessions that were scheduled simultaneously, in addition to films, or performances. The Dances of Universal Peace gathered twice daily in the open spaces on the second floor, the communication hub of the Parliament or next to the escalators on the 4th floor. Musicians and dancers would commence, while many looked on as they rode the escalator. Late in the Parliament I visited the Red Tent. It was a peaceful oasis for women to enter into quiet reflection or simply to rest. There were plush rugs and pillows, a few comfortable chairs inside this women only tent space.

Karen Armstrong
Other Prominent Speakers
On Saturday, I attended the evening Plenary: The Understanding Plenary. There I got to hear my long time hero, Karen Armstrong (Creator of the Charter for Compassion, religious historian and author) speak. Additionally, Dr. Weiming Tu, (Founding Director of the Institute of Advanced Humanistic Studies, Peking University) and Rev. Elijah Brown (General Secretary of the Baptist World Alliance) also presented during this Plenary. There were three others slated to speak, however Charlotte and I left after hearing the first three speakers.

I thought I would list a few of the sessions I chose to attend in my free time here: The 2015 Inaugural Women’s Assembly of Major Speakers Legacy Session. It was moderated by Phyllis Curott; Wiccan Priest, Lawyer and co-founder of the Parliament’s Woman’s Task Force. Grandmother Flordemayo prayed over the assembled group of women, panelists and a few men. Panelists included Dr. Vandana Shiva, Enviornmentalist; Dr. Jean Shinoda Bolen, Psychiatrist; Bishop Barbara Lewis King, Founding Minister /World Spiritual Leader of the Hillside International Truth Center, Inc.; Mother Maya Tiwari, Ayurvedic pioneer. I left the session early to meet up with Charlotte. After grabbing some dinner, we went to the evening Plenary.

In addition to the Assembly, I attended: The Global Interfaith Movement for Human Rights of LGBTI People; Multiple Religious Belonging: Promises and Perils; Shades of the Divine: A Divine Mystical Understanding of the Vibration of Race and How to Transform It Into Unified, Peaceful Harmony; and Gender Fluidity in Gurbani: An Exploration of the Female Voice in Sikh Scripture.

Justin's Award
As most folks know by now, Justin Remer -Thamert received the PoWR Justice award at the Parliament during the Reconciliation Plenary. It was an exciting moment! Larry Greenfield, Executive Director of the Parliament, presented the award. Unfortunately, time was short, and Justin was not permitted to share his acceptance speech he had worked on for hours. Justin received a standing ovation in spite of not having an opportunity to speak!

Reviewing my experiences of the Parliament of World Religions has been a bitter sweet experience. As I went through the program, I saw so many sessions, panels and events I would have loved to attend. There was so much happening. Even so, attending the Parliament was a rich experience; exhilarating and exhausting, emotionally and spiritually challenging, irresistibly engaging.

No comments: