Monday, December 26, 2016

Sojourners Invites You to take the Matthew 25 Pledge

Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.  Matthew 25:34-36 (See more complete text Matthew 25:34-46)
The Sojourners community invites you to Take the Matthew 25 Pledge to Stand with Those Most at Risk Under the New Administration. You will receive a full suite of free toolkits and organizing resources in January. 

In the meantime, start having the conversations now about how you and your community will respond.

On Immigration
President-elect Donald Trump has threatened to deport 11 million people. Most at risk are the undocumented immigrants who came over as children and their parents. President Barack Obama gave them relief through executive order, but a Trump administration could reverse that. We need to remain vigilant. Ask your community these questions: What does it mean to protect and stand in solidarity with our immigrant neighbors? What are you willing to do? What are your churches and communities willing to do? 

We invite you to reflect on these questions in prayer: 
God of all people, in creating us with love you have made us one family. We know that when those in our family hurt or suffer, you hurt too. We know that you walk with those who wander, and call us to welcome those who are seeking shelter. Help us to be strong and steadfast in this effort so that we might reflect your grace to all your children. Amen.

Here is some additional reading from us to help you as you have these important conversations:

No comments: