Most of you cannot t join us in person, but you can participate in our virtual Lobby Day. Here’s how:
- Call your members of Congress using our special toll-free number: 1-800-826-3688.
- Tell them you’re a Bread for the World member.
- Ask them to create a circle of protection around funding for programs vital for hungry and poor people in the United States and around the world.
- Form a circle of protection around the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps) as you work on the farm bill. (The Senate will vote on the farm bill this week, and the House will soon follow).
- Protect domestic and international anti-hunger and anti-poverty programs by supporting the Senate’s overall discretionary funding level for fiscal year 2013. Members of Congress agreed to this number last summer, and they must stick to this deal to prevent harmful cuts to these programs.
- Take a comprehensive approach to deficit reduction, including revenues in addition to spending cuts. Without a comprehensive deficit-reduction package that includes revenues, programs for hungry and poor people will face severe cuts.