Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Gifts Unwrapped


In her book Simple Living: The Path to Joy and Freedom, Sister Jose Hobday, a Franciscan, describes a Native American tradition of exchanging gifts unwrapped.

"Instead of allowing paper or a tied-up box to come between the giver and the receiver, a gift is handed over without secrecy," says Sister Jose, who is quoted by Jennifer Swanson of
the Simple Living Network, This "flesh-to-flesh connection" provides an enhanced sense of unity."

Snow fell in Albuquerque on Dec. 19 and continued on Dec. 20. It came unwrapped.

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
and do not return there until they have watered the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:10-11
(Photo: Carlos Navarro)

No comments: