Send a Thank You to Rep. Udall via e-mail
The bill still needs to be introduced and passed in the Senate. Please stay tuned for action alerts for Sens. Pete Domenici and Jeff Bingaman.
The ONE blog has a great summary of the Global Poverty Act, included below:
What the Global Poverty Act does:
- Declares it official U.S. policy to promote the reduction of global poverty, the elimination of extreme global poverty, and the achievement of the U.N. Millennium Development Goal of cutting extreme global poverty in half by 2015.
- Requires the President to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to carry out that policy.
- Includes guidelines for what the strategy should include - from aid, trade, and debt relief, to working with the international community, businesses and NGOs, to ensuring environmental sustainability.
- Requires that the President’s strategy include specific and measurable goals, efforts to be undertaken, benchmarks, and timetables.
- Requires the President to report back to Congress annually on progress made in the implementation of the global poverty strategy.